Wednesday, June 15, 2005

I think that I'm getting really OLD!!!

Do you remember when you thought your parents were nuts because they listened to Country Music? Well I have found myself over the last week of bed rest watching CMT and really liking the music.

Maybe the music has changed?! I keep trying to tell myself that Country Music today is more like the Southern Rock music I use to like to listen to when I was in High School. As a product of the 80's we had what I thought was good music... Styx , Journey, REO, Loverboy, Ozzy, ACDC and many many more. We also had those interesting bands, The Tubes, 'Til Tuesday, The Motels, and the many different types of "new wave" music. I didn't much like the new wave... Being a musician I thought it was a crime that a person could make it famous as long as they had a synthesizer. They didn't even have to have a good voice. They could just mix and make themselves sound good. It amazed me, it still amazes me.

In the late 90's I started to DJ for a local club and the kids who would come in loved all types of music. I would play anything from John Denver "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" to Neil Diamond "Sweet Caroline" to Nine Inch Nails " I Want to F--- U like an Animal" plus the Dance songs and slow songs that were necessary to keep everyone happy. I thought I was really hip. I knew all the songs. I was early 30's, taught school by day, ran a bar by night... and knew 98% of all music out there.

Now, I'm 40... 40 years old!!!! I am a Mom of a 21 month old, with another to be born ANY DAY, I have a high pressure job, and I can't find anything to watch on TV except the Top 20 Countdown on CMT!!!! UGH. I think I'm getting OLD!!!

I wonder if when my little ones are a few years older will I be into their music? Or will they be writing a Blog saying..."Do you remember when your parents listened to Country Music and you thought they were square????"

No comments: