Sunday, June 12, 2005

Did you know there is a difference...

between labor and labor that should send you to the hospital?

I knew that there was a difference between Braxton Hicks, false labor, but I really had no idea that there was a difference in labors until you get to hard labor and then it's time to push.

Well I'll tell you, I'm really tired of this "light" labor. Friday it lasted all day. Yesterday, I maybe had 5 labor pains... today it's back. I'm trying to decide if it is because I'm tired or if the boy really wants to come out.

It amazes me daily the difference between pregnancies. With my first I was on bed rest forever, I had pre-eclampsia and I was not allowed to do anything for almost 7 weeks. This one, my love for ice cream and M&M’s got the better of me and I got, gestational diabetes. After trying to fix that with diet, which did not work and I was very faithful to the diet, they put me on insulin. The insulin has made me feel good and I have been able to work until this last Friday.

With the first one, I never went in to labor. Well I did have Braxton Hicks for 6 hours, we went to the hospital and they sent us home. Then four days later I went in for a non-stress test and they asked if I was over due which I was, they took me to have an ultrasound and with in an hour I was in a birthing room because I was almost out of amniotic fluid. I was poked with all kinds of needles to induce the labor and that is the first time I felt any real labor.

This one, he wants out, He wants out early, and I’m about ready to tell them GET HIM OUT OF ME NOW!!!!

I was going to try to have the last one natural… I got dilated to 6 centimeters when I said to my husband and I quote, “IF YOU WANT ME TO HAVE MORE CHILDREN, I NEED THE DRUGS AND I NEED THEM NOW!!!” We had a code word that I had to say, believe it or not today I can’t even remember what it was, but I could not have the epidural until I said the word.

There is a bit of concern with this one that I’m going to get to the hospital and be too far dilated and they won’t let me have the shot. I absolutely, under only conditions of saving the life of the baby, do I want a C-Section… BUT I DO WANT THE DRUGS.

So my husband just left to get me a BIG BEEF sandwich and ice tea. Grandma is here to help watch the girl. And I’m sitting in the red rocker, thinking about having a baby tomorrow if the doctor will let me, reminiscing to myself and you about how different these two pregnancies have been.

No comments: