Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Weight Loss... I hate the struggle

Since six weeks old I have been on a diet. Back then they switched you from whole milk to skim milk but whatever they did I have been on a diet virtually my whole life.

I have read every book, tried every diet and well finally three years ago I had hit rock bottom and decided I was going to change my life. I was close to 300 pounds, very unhealthy, and I found myself lying to guys on match.com about what I looked like. I would go on a date with some of these guys and I know that they had to be disappointed when they met me. I was just out of control. Before leaving for New York in August of 2001 I went to visit a friend who had lost a lot of weight when he really didn't need to. He told me that he was seeing a wholistic doctor and he was cleansing his body and through that he had lost weight. I left for New York deciding while I was there I was going to start working out, get a trainer, and eat right. Well, I did join Bally's, got a trainer, and continued to eat the same way I always had. I couldn't get past the food. I couldn't lose any weight. I believe that my body was so toxic at the time there was no way I could lose any weight.

In November, I got a new job in Skokie, IL and with that I knew I had to do something. I knew that I wanted to live in this area for the rest of my life. I wanted to meet a handsome man who would like to do the same things I did and I knew that was not going to happen being 300 pounds.

I called my friend and I asked him if he thought that the wholistic doctor he was seeing could help me get my weight off. He said yes, gave me her numbers, and on January 3, 2002 I went for my first visit.

As I said earlier it was all about food. I loved to exercize, I really do, I just never find the time to go, especially now with two kids and my husband... anyway... When I went to Dr. Renee for the first time I was floored by what she was telling me. She was showing me what was going on in my body by looking at my blood. She told me that my liver was full of junk and once we cleansed it my weight would start to come off. I have to tell you that I thought she was a bit of a nut at first... then she told me I had to eat all raw fruits and veggies for the first 10 days and I really thought she was nuts. She gave me some suppliments and a food list and well... I went home to have what I called at the time my last supper and began my new diet the next day.

Ten days of raw veggies when you don't even like vegetables is rough. I was lucky however in that there was a vegetarian restuarant in Evanston, not far from where I was living and so I went there every night to get a salad that I discovered. I can't tell you how many of these salads I ate over the next 8 months but it was a lot. I followed my diet almost to a "T". I would cheat from time to time, but not often. I would fast for a week once every 7 weeks. That was tough but you can do it if you put your mind to it. By June of 2002 I had lost close to 80 pounds and the weight was still coming off...

Then... I met Don. I was still trying to be good on my diet and he was very sensitive to the fact that I did eat a lot of vegetarian meals and so I didn't put any weight on while we were dating... UNTIL... I got pregnant. Now I had tried for over seven years to get pregnant with my ex-husband and nothing worked. I truly believe it was the cleansing of my body that helped me to get pregnant. So the baby was a miracle in my eyes and I wanted to only gain 20 pounds. I was trying to be very faithful and then I couldn't help it... I started to eat whatever and when ever I wanted to. I gained and gained and gained. I was so upset. After Grace was born I never quite got back on the saddle and then I got pregnant with Mac. He was a God send. I was sick most of the time with him and I only gained 20 pounds with him. After having him, my weight came off pretty easy. But now I'm one month from when I am going to stop nursing and I know that I have to get my act together again. On Dec. 23 I am going back to my wholistic Dr. and get back on the program. After Christmas day I am going to be as faithful as I was three years ago. I am an older parent so I need to be healthy. I need to be here for my kids.

So let the struggle begin. I have to have a lot of will power to make this work for me again. It is a big commitment. I am also going to join Weight Watchers so that my Mom can go with me... she need to shed a few pound also... but this way I will be accountable for my weight every week. I need to be accountable. If I follow the diet I do with Dr. Renee I will be able to eat all day long with Weight Watchers because I think certain veggies are free!!!

I will keep you posted with my struggle. If you too have this struggle I encourage you to post a comment and we can work on this together.

No comments: