Saturday, July 28, 2007

Vacation 2007



Vacation 2007 was suppose to start at 5am. We were going to get the kids out of bed and put them in the car in their jammies and we were going to get to Louisville, KY before they needed breakfast. Well that wasn't the case and it really shouldn't surprise anyone.

A month ago we were headed to New York for vacation. We were going to go through Canada and over to Niagara Falls, into Buffalo, and then through the Finger Lakes. A chance to visit people that I had become friends with while I was living out there doing an internship. However, trying to be responsible and not spend so much money on gas and hotels rooms we decided that we would go to Wisconsin Dells. After investigating the costs for rooms and what not we found that it was going to be just as much to go to the Dells as it was to go to New York... so I thought... what about Pigeon Forge... home of Dollywood and many many places for kids to see and do things. We had driven through there on our way home from South Carolina this year and well we sort of fell in love with it, I will get to why later in the week... just know that it is very kid friendly.

So anyway, back to trying to leave. Well the kids had gotten to bed late, I still ha
d to pack, and Don went to bed before the car was packed so I knew there was no way we were getting out of the house early. At 5:30 I woke up after going to bed about 1am and I told Don the time. I was tired so I was hoping that he was going to fall back to sleep for a short while. I was right but I was also shocked that at 6:30 Grace was the first one to wake up and ready to get going... Mac, he slept in for some reason. So about 8:30 after getting everything together and a quick trip to KMart we were on our way.

Don had decided that we were going to go to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky on day one, so that is where we were headed and we were excited about getting away. Grace, who is just so funny at times, kept saying from the back seat "Whew, I'm soooo happy that we are getting away." He dad told her that it is good to get away and so she came up with that little mantra. We got into Louisville about 1:00. We saw signs about the Kentucky derby and decided to take our first detour and so we were off to the Kentucky Derby museum and complex. We thought we would have lunch there and see the museum and be on our way.

On the weekends there is no where to eat at the track except for the OTB food court. We went there but I tell you I was not impressed. And people were rude. There were no seats. all over the place there were tables with just one person at them betting on horses not eating a thing and no one would give us a seat. They looked at us like we were crazy people for bringing our kids there but we didn't know any better and I think that someone from the museum should have told us it would not be appropriate for kids instead of sending us in
that direction.

We finally snagged a table and after eating we headed back to the museum for a guided tour and then a brief movie about Churchhill Downs. Both were good but the kids were getting tired and so were we. I was glad when it was over but Grace had a good time so that is what mattered. She met a new friend, Sierra, and she had a great time walking around with her through the tour.

Once the track closed it was time to get back on the road so we started heading to Mammoth cave and our hotel in Horse Cave, KY. The kids slept part of the way but they really need good naps. When we got to the hotel we were going to go out to Mammoth Cave bet th
ere was a childrens' petting zoo and cave just down the road from where we were staying and so we went there instead.

The Kentucky Down Under was a small facility with a cave, and animals from the outback. Grace and Mac got to see reptiles, birds and kangaroos. They really enjoyed t
he animals. We also went on a walk of the cave. It was not very long but it was semi difficult to get through with little kids. There were also about 20 people in a family that went with us and couldn't speak English and so they never stopped talking because I believe the didn't understand when the guide told them not to talk. This took about 20 minutes, it was ok I was trying to be a trouper for the kids but I really do hate stuff like that. Tomorrow we are going on a 3/4 of a mile hike through a cave that is going to take 2 hours. I hope I can make it. It is really pretty and amazing how these stalactites and stalagmites have formed but I am just not comfortable... Grace and Don however were having a GREAT time. They got to see 2 salamanders and a cave cricket. Mac, he was with me, he didn't like it so much. But when we were finished he got to see the kangaroos and it was all worth it.

Finally at 8:00 we were off to have some dinner and back to the hotel. They have all been asleep for a while but I wanted to try to chronical their trip this year without missing a day. It is now almost midnight so I need to get some sleep as we are off the Mammoth cave in the morning. I need to wear better shoes....

No comments: